At a Glance
- A clear overview of the importance of and central themes in the Gospel, such as Jesus, salvation, the Holy Spirit, the church, and the end times
- A thorough understanding of the formation of modern evangelicalism and what evangelicals believe, as well as how and why they believe it
- An accessible introduction to Christian theology built around the Gospel, with strategies for applying theology in today’s Christian life
- Access to all course material—video lectures, readings, key concept reviews, and quizzes
- Access to the Cerego learning system to build memory retention of course objectives
- 24/7 access for 18 months to complete the course at your own pace
Evangelical Theology (2nd edition) presents an overview of systematic theology in two semesters from the unique perspective of a biblical scholar. Michael F. Bird contends that the center, unity, and boundary of evangelical faith is the evangel, or gospel, as opposed to doctrines like justification by faith or inerrancy. With this understanding, the evangel becomes the unifying thread in evangelical theology and the theological hermeneutic through which the various loci of theology may be understood.
Evangelical Theology 1 and 2 explores theology as the drama of gospelizing, covering foundational doctrines of God, the end times, Jesus, and more.
Note: the outline below doesn't include all subsections of the course. It is a broad outline.
Course Outline: Semester One
- What Is Theology?
- The Gospel and the Goal of Theology
- Theological Method
- God, the Gospel, and the Trinity
- What Is God Like?
- God and His Plan
- Gospel, Kingdom, and Apocalypse
- Christ’s Return, the Millennium, and the Tribulation
- Final Judgment
- Intermediate and Final States
- The Gospel and Christological Method
- The Life of Jesus
- The Death and Resurrection of Jesus
- The Ascension and Session of Jesus
- FINAL EXAM
Course Outline: Semester Two
- The Gospel and Redemptive History
- Order of Salvation
- Images of Salvation and Its Scope
- God’s Spirit
- The Person and Work of the Spirit
- Sons and Daughters of the King
- What Is Humanity?
- What Is the Problem with Humanity?
- The Odyssey of Theodicy
- The Evangelical Church
- Biblical Images of the Church
- Shape and Marks of the Church
- Governance of the Church
- Emblems of the Gospel
- FINAL EXAM
About the Technology
Author & Instructor
Dr. Michael F. Bird
PhD., University of Queensland
Michael F. Bird is a lecturer in theology at Ridley College in Melbourne, Australia. He is the author of many books, including Jesus and the Origins of the Gentile Mission, The Saving Righteousness of God: Studies on Paul, Justification, and the New Perspective, and Evangelical Theology, and editor of The Apostle Paul: Four Views. He blogs at the New Testament blog Euangelion.