At a Glance
- A full introduction of foundational principles required to understand the Bible correctly
- Insights into issues of background context with knowledge and tools to dig deeper into Scripture, interpret biblical texts, and rightly relate their meaning to life
- Access to all course material—video lectures; readings enhanced by graphics and charts; key concept reviews, and quizzes
- Access to the Cerego learning system to build memory retention of course objectives
- 24/7 access for 12 months to complete the course at your own pace
Based on the popular textbook Grasping God’s Word by Old Testament scholar J. Daniel Hays and New Testament expert J. Scott Duvall, this course provides a simple and clear introduction to reading the Word of God carefully and in context, interpreting it, and then applying it faithfully.
Designed to follow Hays and Duvall’s memorable “Interpretive Journey” framework, this course equips self-learners and academic students with foundational, trustworthy principles of sound biblical interpretation.
All course material—instructional videos, readings, practical exercises, and quizzes—is available online for study at your own convenience.
- Bible Translations
- Interpretive Journey
- Sentences and Paragraphs
- Historical-Cultural Context and What the Reader Brings to
- Literary Context and Word Studies
- Who Controls Meaning? and Levels of Meaning
- Role of the Holy Spirit and Application
- NT: Letters
- NT: Gospels
- NT: Acts
- NT: Revelation
- OT: Narrative
- OT: Law
- OT: Poetry and Prophets
- OT: Wisdom
- FINAL EXAM
About the Technology
Authors & Instructors
Dr. J. Scott Duvall
Ph.D. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Scott Duvall is professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He has coauthored several books, including Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek; Grasping God’s Word; Preaching God's Word; and Journey into God’s Word.
Dr. J. Daniel Hays
Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary; Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Daniel Hays is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of Old Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the author of From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.