At a Glance
- Access to lecture videos and by Dr. James Houston
- Lecture transcripts are provided
- 24/7 access for 12 months to complete the course at your own pace
This course examines the prayers and prayer life of some well-known Christians in history. Organized in a 13 lesson format, the course provides video lectures and lecture transcripts for each lesson.
- Prayer in the Psalms, Pt. 1
- Prayer in the Psalms, Pt. 2
- Jesus, New Testament Jews, and the Early Church Fathers
- Augustine's Reflections on the Psalms and Teachings on Prayer
- Monastic Origins of Prayer
- Bernard of Clairvaux and William of St. Thierry
- Teresa of Avila
- John of the Cross
- The Apostle Paul
- Søren Kierkegaard
- Karl Barth
- C.S. Lewis and Hans von Balthasar
- John Calvin and Martin Luther
What do I need to take this course?
You will need an Internet connection and a Bible.
Who is this course for?
This course is for those who like to learn from the prayers of selected saints.
Dr. James M. Houston
James Houston (now retired) is one of the “founding fathers” of Regent College. He was appointed Principal in 1970 a post he held until 1978, at which time he was appointed Chancellor (1978-1980) and Professor of Spiritual Theology. He also taught part-time at the University of British Columbia. His chair of Spiritual Theology was endowed in 1991. He is co-founder of the C.S. Lewis Institute in Washington, DC, and still acting as a Senior Fellow. Dr. James Houston is a prolific author, editor, and Christian scholar.