The Message of the Prophets
This is a scholarly yet readable and student-friendly introduction to the Old Testament prophetic literature, presenting the message of each prophet in both its historical and biblical context and tracking that message through the New Testament to discuss what it means for believers today.
At a Glance
- An introduction to the genre of Old Testament prophecy
- Insights into the theological themes of each prophetic book in the Old Testament
- Instruction on how to apply the messages of prophetic literature today
- Access to all course material—video lectures; readings enhanced by graphics and charts; key concept reviews, and quizzes
- Access to the Cerego learning system to build memory retention of course objectives
- 24/7 access for 12 months to complete the course at your own pace
Based on the textbook The Message of the Prophets by scholar J. Daniel Hays, this course offers a survey of the Old Testament prophetic literature that presents the message of each prophet in its historical and biblical context and then tracks that message through the New Testament to challenge students with what it means for them today. The course focuses on synthesizing the message of the prophets, which enables students to grasp the major contours of the prophetic books clearly and concisely.
All course material—instructional videos, readings, practical exercises, and quizzes—is available online for study at your own convenience.
- Prophets, Prophecy, and History
- Literature and Message of the Prophets
- Prophets and Biblical Eschatology
- Isaiah 1-39
- Isaiah 40-66
- Jeremiah 1-29
- Jeremiah 30-52 and Lamentations
- Midterm Exam
- Hosea, Joel, Amos
- Obadiah and Jonah
- Nahum and Habakkuk
- Zephaniah and Zechariah
- Haggai and Malachi
- Final Exam
About the Technology
Author & Instructor
Dr. J. Daniel Hays
Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary; Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Daniel Hays is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of Old Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the author of From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.