At a Glance
- Clear guidelines for studying Scripture passages carefully and deriving sound applications
- Insights provided on understanding your audience, employing illustrations, and crafting strong sermons
- Access to all course material—video lectures, readings, key concept reviews, and quizzes
- Access to the Cerego learning system to build memory retention of course objectives
- 24/7 access for 12 months to complete the course at your own pace
People in churches today are hungry for a word from God. Preachers need to prepare and deliver sound biblical sermons that connect with their audiences in a meaningful way. Whether you are a student new to preaching or a veteran looking to brush up your preaching skills, the Preaching God’s Word course is a valuable learning opportunity.
Good preaching begins with good exegesis. This course is supported by the popular textbook Preaching God's Word authored by Terry Carter, Scott Duvall, and Daniel Hays. All course material—video lectures, readings, key concept reviews, and quizzes—walk you through the steps of the “Interpretive Journey” from the biblical text to contemporary application.
Yet the science of solid biblical interpretation must also be married to the art of contemporary communication in order to bring the message home. Carter, Duvall, and Hays also show how to understand your audience, develop powerful applications, use illustrations well, and deliver sermons effectively. The concluding units discuss unique preaching challenges presented by various biblical genres, providing interpretive keys, things to avoid, and numerous examples.
- Preaching a Biblical Sermon
- Discovering Biblical Truth: The Interpretive Journey
- Preaching the Meaning in Their Town
- Exegeting the Audience
- Communicating the Meaning in Our Town
- Applying the Message
- Illustrating Biblical Truth
- Delivering a Biblical Sermon
- Preaching Letters
- Preaching the Gospel and Acts
- Preaching Revelation
- Preaching Old Testament Narrative
- Preaching the Law
- Preaching the Prophets
- Preaching Psalms and Wisdom Literature
About the Technology
Authors & Instructors
Dr. J. Scott Duvall
Ph.D. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Scott Duvall is professor of New Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He has coauthored several books, including Biblical Greek Exegesis: A Graded Approach to Learning Intermediate and Advanced Greek; Grasping God’s Word; Preaching God's Word; and Journey into God’s Word.
Dr. J. Daniel Hays
Th.M., Dallas Theological Seminary; Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
J. Daniel Hays is dean of the Pruet School of Christian Studies and professor of Old Testament at Ouachita Baptist University. He is the author of From Every People and Nation, and he has coauthored Grasping God's Word; Preaching God's Word; Journey into God’s Word; The Story of Israel: A Biblical Theology; Iraq: Babylon of the End Times?; Apocalypse; and The Dictionary of Biblical Prophecy. He teaches adult Sunday school at his local church in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and preaches frequently throughout the nation.
Dr. Terry G. Carter
PhD, Southwesterrn Baptist Theological Seminary
Terry G. Carter is chair of the department of Christian ministries and holder of the W.O. Vaught Chair in the Pruet School of Christian Studies at Ouachita Baptist University. He teaches homiletics, pastoral ministry, Christian history, evangelism and church growth, missions, and survey of the Bible. He is author of The Journal and Selected Letters of William Carey.