Justified by Faith Alone
This course provides a historical, theological, and biblical overview of the Reformation doctrine of justification.
At a Glance
- 10 video lectures with Dr. R.C. Sproul (approx. 20 minutes each)
- Full text of Sproul, Faith Alone: The Evangelical Doctrine of Justification
- Primary source texts for further study
- 9 study modules powered by the Cerego personalized learning tool
- 9 quizzes and 2 exams (midterm and final)
- Access course on any device
- Earn 0.5 CEU with ACSI
The doctrine of justification by faith alone is the center of Reformation theology. It remains crucial for all believers today. This doctrine provides the answer to the question, “What must I do to be saved?” Without it, there is no gospel.
In this course, R.C. Sproul explores this key doctrine from historical, theological, and biblical perspectives. He carefully defines each term in the phrase “justification by faith alone” while pointing to the imputation of a perfect righteousness found only in Jesus Christ.
You will come away from this study with a richer understanding of the doctrine of justification and a greater appreciation for the salvation we have in Christ alone.
- Lesson 1: A Doctrine for Today
- Lesson 2: Martin Luther
- Lesson 3: The Ninety-Five Theses
- Lesson 4: The Roman Catholic View
- Lesson 5: Luther’s Theological Context
- Lesson 6: By Faith Alone
- Lesson 7: Paul’s Letter to the Romans
- Lesson 8: The Consequences of Justification
- Lesson 9: Paul vs. James?
- Lesson 10: Questions and Answers
- Final Exam
For each lesson of this course, you will
- Watch a video lecture with R.C. Sproul
- Read related chapters from his book Faith Alone
- Read primary source material (some lessons)
- Study key people and ideas using Cerego learning engine
- Measure what you’ve learned with an assessment
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone who wishes to deepen their understanding of the biblical doctrine of justification.
What do I need to take this course?
You will need an internet connection.
How do I earn CEUs?
Ligonier Ministries is an approved provider of Continuing Education Units through the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI). On completion of this course, you will be provided with a form to request an official certificate of completion and record of CEU credit earned.
Dr. R.C. Sproul
(1939–2017) Founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries, chancellor of Reformation Bible College, and co-pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Fla. He authored of more than ninety books.
About the Technology
With Resources From
Dr. R.C. Sproul
Founder and chairman of Ligonier Ministries, chancellor of Reformation Bible College, and co-pastor of Saint Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Florida. He is author of more than ninety books.