BMI LIVE: What Is the Gospel?
Join us for an 8-week live interactive course on an introduction to Christian theology. The course seeks to address the question, “Why should I study theology to be a faithful missionary?” and applies a theological understanding of the Gospel to cross-cultural ministry.
At a Glance
- Access to study materials and notes
- Informed perspective on important topic
- Interactive online class with Dr. Christy Thornton
- Learn as a community in class cohort
- Access the live course from anywhere - learn online from where you are
The course will:
- Define core Christian doctrines, and how they relate to the life and mission of the church
- Explain the task of theology, and how it relates to the proclamation of the Gospel across the street and around the world
- Articulate a basic understanding of Trinitarian Christocentric framework of the Gospel, as expressed in the Apostle’s Creed
Required Textbook to PurchasePhysical book option: What Christians Ought to Believe, by Michael Bird.
Enhanced Edition (digital) option: What Christians Ought to Believe, by Michael Bird.
- For the Enhanced Edition version a $14.99 discount will be provided to all who register for the course
Providing a basic introduction to Christian theology utilizing live lectures and reading material from Michael Bird’s textbook What Christians Ought to Believe, this course seeks to address the question, “Why should I study theology to be a faithful missionary?” and applies a theological understanding of the Gospel to cross-cultural ministry.
In this 8-week BMI Live course oﬀering, Dr. Christy Thornton will cover the following doctrines: Theological Method, Theology Proper, Revelation, Christology, Soteriology, and Ecclesiology.
- First class: Thursday, Oct. 14 @ 2:00pm EST
- 8 one-hour long Zoom sessions consisting of:
- 30 minutes lecture/interview
- 20 minutes instructor directed discussion
- 10 minutes student questions
- Optional reading assignments from Bird corresponding to each week’s topics
- Option to enroll in for-credit course with syllabus after completion of BMI Live course to complete 3 hours of graduate/undergraduate theology credit.
8-Week Session Topic Outline: Thursdays at 2pm EST
About the Technology
Dr. Christy Thornton
PhD., Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Christy Thornton has an abiding passion for people to know God and make him known. After serving oversees in North Africa, she returned to the States to pursue theological education, and eventually a PhD. For her, theology is essentially a missiological endeavor. She currently serves as Director of the ThM program and Associate Director of the PhD program at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, where she also teaches. She has published or has forthcoming publications with LifeWay, The Gospel Coalition, Hodder and Stoughton, and Zondervan, among others. She holds a B.S. in English Education from the University of Georgia, an M.A. in Intercultural Studies, and Ph.D. in Systematic Theology from SEBTS. She is a member at the Summit Church in Raleigh, NC.