At a Glance
This 9 lesson course leads you step by step through bible passages, key concepts, practical examples and exercises.
Pace yourself by setting aside 40 minutes a day, for 30 days, to read, reflect, and pray your way through the course.
Each lesson includes
- Insightful articles on Bible passages, doctrine and application
- Instructional videos
- Helpful illustrations
- Interactive reflection boxes to make and store your notes
This course is ideal for
- Christians who want to grow spiritually and who want to develop a gospel-centred approach to the subject
- Pastors with busy schedules, who want to grow in character, ministry skills and gospel direction
- Small groups who want to go deeper by studying in depth at home and then meeting together to discuss and share learning
- Leadership teams and church planting core groups, who want to set out and implement a biblical vision for their church
Understanding culture is a complex task. Christians have to find points of connection and difference with their cultural context to present the gospel clearly. This course helps with that task but goes further to show us how to do that creatively. This course will stretch you to think biblically and creatively about popular culture. It provides you with a theological tool kit to engage with film, music and computer games.
- Unit 1. Key terms: culture, worldview, religion
- Unit 2. A biblical understanding of culture
- Unit 3. Engaging with apologetics: A case of myth-taken identity
- Unit 4. False starts: perspectives that hinder cultural engagement
- Unit 5. Engaging popular culture: popologetics
- Unit 6. Popologetics workshop 1: Jonsi's music video, "Go Do"
- Unit 7. Popologetics workshop 2: The indie romantic comedy, Ruby Sparks
- Unit 8. Popologetics workshop 3: The first-person shooter video game Bioshock Infinite
- Unit 9. Summary and conclusion
Dr. Tim Chester
Tim Chester is a pastor of Grace Church in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, a faculty member of Crosslands. He is the author of over 30 books and commentaries including You Can Change and A Meal with Jesus, as well as being co-author of Total Church.