Course at a Glance
- Access to 12 lessons of guided inductive Bible study, reading comprehension questions, instructional video and audio clips, discussion questions, integrative assignments, and other content
- Now includes direct access to Bible study tools at Biblearc.com, an online Bible study program from Bethlehem College & Seminary.
- Provides a structured and comprehensive introduction to Christian Hedonism through careful biblical study and reflection on three of John Piper’s most important books
- 24/7 access for 6 months to complete the course at your own pace
About this Course
The Christian Hedonism and the Life of Faith course is an introduction to Christian Hedonism, a philosophy of life that is built on the God of the Bible. The course unfolds two key assertions: 1) the God-centeredness of God informs every aspect of the Christian life; 2) the pursuit of God’s glory and the pursuit of our joy is the same pursuit. Therefore, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.” In this course students will examine key biblical passages and then thoughtfully interact with some of the central writings of John Piper: Desiring God, God Is the Gospel, and Future Grace. Biblical study, critical reflection, and application are all important components of this course.
- The God-centered God and gospel
- A God-centered conversion and faith
- God-centered worship and love
- Being God-centered in reading Scripture and prayer
- Being God-centered with money and in suffering
- The God-centered vision of Jonathan Edwards
A series of 12 lessons that each include an introduction, lesson objectives, inductive Bible study, critical interaction with secondary sources, comprehension questions, video and audio content, and discussion questions if studying with a group.
What do I need to take this course?
You will need an internet connection that allows you to view videos, an English version of the Bible (preferably the English Standard Version), and three required textbooks by John Piper: Desiring God, God Is the Gospel, and Future Grace. Desiring God and God Is the Gospel are available as free PDF downloads accessible from links within the course.
Should I take this course if I am already familiar with John Piper?
If you have been at all helped by the ministry of John Piper, we would strongly encourage you to take this course. The course readings, study questions, and multimedia content will challenge you to think more biblically and will explore aspects of Piper’s theology that you have not encountered before. If you have a thorough knowledge of Christian Hedonism, then you may consider introducing others to this theology through the course’s structured and comprehensive approach.
For what setting was this course designed?
This course can be taken as an independent study but also provides discussion questions and integrative assignments for an informal or formal group study. The course would work well in a rigorous Sunday school environment, as part of a small group study, within a discipleship or training context, or in an academic program.
Can I take this course as a part of a group?
We encourage anyone taking a course from us to do it within a local church context. Churches may use our courses as the theological content for group studies. Questions are included in each lesson to facilitate discussion.
About the Technology
With Resources From
Dr. John Piper
Chancellor and Professor of Biblical Exegesis
Bethlehem College & Seminary
Founder and Teacher, desiringGod.org