At a Glance
This course leads you through the ‘story of the church’ with a series of guided readings from key theological texts in each period. Set aside 10 hours per week to read, reflect and pray your way through this seminary-level course.
Each lesson includes
- An overview of the historical context in that period
- Guided reading of selected primary historical sources
- A set text to aide and guide your learning
- Interactive reflection and exercises to help you apply what you learn
This course is ideal for
- Aspiring and existing church leaders, church planters and their teams, apprentices and interns
- Pastors with busy schedules who want to grow in ministry skills and gospel direction
- Church planters who want to appreciate the value of historical theology
- Leadership teams and church planting core groups who want to have an understanding of core theological texts and church history
- Existing church ministers who want to 'top-up' their theology with a course that has a strong missional, evangelical and reformational emphasis
Learn about Christian theology across the centuries as you gain an overview church history from selected primary sources to help you apply lessons from the past to contemporary challenges.
Brought to you by Crosslands, the Doctrine in Historical Perspective course is divided into 8 lessons:
- Lesson 1 – The Church Fathers
- Lesson 2 – The Medieval Period
- Lesson 3 – The Reformation
- Lesson 4 – Practical Assignment
- Lesson 5 – The Puritans and Evangelicalism
- Lesson 6 – The Twentieth Century
- Lesson 7-8 – Assignment
Dr. Jonny Woodrow
Jonny Woodrow is pastor of The Crowded House in Loughborough and a Crosslands faculty member. He is married with four children and is co-author of Ascension: Humanity in the Presence of God
Dr. Tim Chester
Tim Chester is a pastor of Grace Church in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, a faculty member of Crosslands. He is the author of over 30 books and commentaries including You Can Change and A Meal with Jesus, as well as being co-author of Total Church.
Dr. Dan Strange
Dan Strange is Acting Principal at Oak Hill Theological College, lecturing in Culture, Religion and Public Theology and part of the Crosslands faculty. With a PhD from Bristol University, he leads a North London church and is married to Elly with seven children. His most recent monograph is For Their Rock is Not as Our Rock: An Evangelical Theology of Religions.
Revd. Dr. Tim Ward
Tim Ward teaches at Oak Hill Theological College and is a Crosslands faculty member, having previously taught at the Proclamation Trust Cornhill Training Course. Before that he was the pastor of a church in Leicestershire. He has written a book on the doctrine of Scripture.