Course at a Glance
This course leads you through the ‘story of the church’ with a series of guided readings from key theological texts in each period. Set aside 10 hours per week to read, reflect and pray your way through this seminary-level course.
Each lesson includes
- An overview of the historical context in that period
- Guided reading of selected primary historical sources
- A set text to aide and guide your learning
- Interactive reflection and exercises to help you apply what you learn
This course is ideal for
- Aspiring and existing church leaders, church planters and their teams, apprentices and interns
- Pastors with busy schedules who want to grow in ministry skills and gospel direction
- Church planters who want to appreciate the value of historical theology
- Leadership teams and church planting core groups who want to have an understanding of core theological texts and church history
- Existing church ministers who want to 'top-up' their theology with a course that has a strong missional, evangelical and reformational emphasis
About this Course
Learn about Christian theology across the centuries as you gain an overview church history from selected primary sources to help you apply lessons from the past to contemporary challenges.
Brought to you by the Acts 29 Oak Hill Academy, the Doctrine in Historical Perspective course is divided into 8 lessons:
- Lesson 1 – The Church Fathers
- Lesson 2 – The Medieval Period
- Lesson 3 – The Reformation
- Lesson 4 – Practical Assignment
- Lesson 5 – The Puritans and Evangelicalism
- Lesson 6 – The Twentieth Century
- Lesson 7-8 – Assignment
Revd. Dr. Tim Ward
Tim Ward teaches at Oak Hill Theological College, having previously taught at the Proclamation Trust Cornhill Training Course. Before that he was the pastor of a church in Leicestershire. He has written a book on the doctrine of Scripture.
Dr. Tim Chester
Tim is a pastor of Grace Church in Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, a faculty member with The Acts 29 Oak Hill Academy He is the author of over 30 books and commentaries including You Can Change, A Meal with Jesus and co-author of Total Church.
Dr. Jonny Woodrow
Jonny Woodrow is pastor of The Crowded House in Loughborough and a founding faculty member of the Acts 29 Oak Hill Academy. He is married with four children and is co-author of Ascension: Humanity in the Presence of God.
Dr. Dan Strange
Dan Strange is Academic Vice Principal at Oak Hill, lecturing in Culture, Religion and Public Theology. With a PhD from Bristol University, he leads a North London church and is married to Elly with seven children. His most recent monograph is For Their Rock is Not as Our Rock: An Evangelical Theology of Religions.